|Project by stefang||posted 01-02-2013 02:53 PM||1541 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
When we bought our current house about 12 years ago it was equipped with this red brick chimney and firewall and an oven with just a small glass door.We really missed the large fireplace we had in our former house which we sold to down-size to a smaller and more manageable house more befitting our retirement years.
Here in Norway most fireplaces consist of a built in cast iron wood burning oven with glass doors or a free-standing cast iron oven also with glass doors. We wanted to have a proper fireplace that would give us the coziness factor and warm the house at the same time. Towards this end we chose a cast iron oven design with a big capacity and large a large glass door. It also has a side door so we don’t have to loan it from the front.
To meet code we first had to raise the firewall about about five layers of bricks. this was my first experience with brick laying, but I had laid cement blocks so I had a little experience. This was necessary due to the pipe from the oven having to be above the oven. That of course left a hole from the old oven lower down on the chimney. I was able to plug that with some thin bricks to make it look like the rest of the chimney. I had to cut these ‘veneers’’ with a grinder disk from regular bricks.Then we painted the brickwork white as the red brick stole lot of light and it didn’t go well with our furnishings.
We needed some kind of mantle and I thought a shelf next to the fire wall would also give us a place to display ‘stuff’. I used an old black CD shelf I got from my son for this. Sounds a bit cheesy, but I think it looks good anyway. I’ll let you be the judge.
The last job was to install the slate on the floor. This wasn’t too easy as I wanted it flush with our hardwood floor to make vacuuming and mopping easier and also to avoid stumbling on it. I marked the opening and then cut it with a sharp chisel all around. We also had to put slate in front of the chimney to meet code. I could have used a router, but I didn’t want dust all over the living room. The slate was very heavy and since the back edges on the wall and the chimney are at right angles to each other, it was difficult to get the slate into place. My special technique of using my son’s help solved that problem.The last job was to install the 320lb. oven which we left to the ‘experts’.
We actually did this work about 3 years ago and since then we have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it.
-- Mike an American living in Norway