|Project by Mark||posted 856 days ago||1922 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
Had recently done some Belgian block & paver apron work on a somewhat damaged asphalt driveway in the hopes of avoiding the need to repave completely. Unfortunately, the effort to avoid replacing the asphalt failed – I had to repave anyway.
While I knew this was a big job, I didn’t realize just how much craftsmanship was involved.
There are a few photos here, but lots more (along with many design details) on my website at http://www.all-about-the-house.com/paving-an-asphalt-driveway/ which gives a much more elaborate view of the project. (If you’re considering something like this, I really think the more you know in advance the better!)
Turns out that grading had been a problem for years – undermining the asphalt. Also, my gravel base wasn’t quite up-to-par and needed to be fortified. Furthermore, I had inadvertently planted a tree with surface roots too close to the driveway. (A terrible mistake on my part.) And then, just to kill it completely – I had a big backyard renovation project underway, causing lots of heavy trucks to drive over the asphalt: last nail in the coffin!
So… This is why I tried to save things with the paver aprons and Belgian block borders – to replace the crumpling asphalt edges. That failed. Now, everything is new.
And nobody is allowed to use my driveway. For a little while, anyway… ;-)
-- Mark, Jersey Shore, http://www.all-about-the-house.com