|Project by dfletcher||posted 03-10-2011 04:05 PM||3006 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
I originally was not going to post this, as I thought it was to small a project.
Then, I thought about this; I often get some of my greatest ideas for customers issues by seeing some of the projects here, often showcasing something I would not have thought of previously, but, because they were willing to post their work, I was able to give my customer a solution.
My customer wanted to put her bi-fold doors back up. The washer & dryer were delivered & installed, but they had to remove the doors to do it, then left without ever putting them back up. She realized that they wouldn’t fit anymore, because the dryer vent pushed the dryer out an inch farther than she had expected and was now sitting past where the bi-fold door would go.
We talked about the options, one being to put a rod up and have a curtain , something she could normally leave open, but close when guests came over, but that did not address the fact that the doors made it quieter when the washer/dryer was running. She also wanted to get rid of the current “junk” shelving system someone had previously put in and get some more, sturdier, shelving installed.
In the end, we decided that bumping out the wall, 2 1/4” would be the best way to get the room we needed and still look decent.
Fortunately, the opening to her kitchen was large enough that I could do this without making the entrance too small.
Finally, we decided that a nice fluted molding for the entrance would be the best way to finish it off.
The bump-out was made with a 2×4 wrapped by primed 1x material, which gave me the necessary strength to put the bi-fold door track back up.
Took a total of 10.5 hours (actually, a little less, because that also included a couple of little projects she needed done.)
She decided to do the painting by herself, to save a little money, so my finished project ended at caulking.