|Project by Roz||posted 09-21-2010 11:32 PM||3320 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
The first rooms in this old house we remodeled was the master bedroom. In the rip out, we discovered a three foot by twelve-foot space that was completely unused and incorporated it into what became a larger room. The room exists in what was originally part of a wide central hallway running through the house. We had much of the work done because I was not living here then and my wife needed a modern bathroom. This house did not orginally have bathrooms in it. The hallway and a trunk room had been modified to make the spaces
For the tile work, we used the largest tile company in the area, Russell Lee Tile and they did a miserable job and charged far too much, taking advantage of my wife while I was away. The tile work was a challenge, because the tiles were small and white and the grout black which the tillers apparently did not realize show all mistakes. The random pattern of black dots was produced by tossing pennies into the air and where they landed, a black tile was placed. Later Russell Lee Tile refused to come and look at the work and discuss repairs.
We joined that wholesale purchasing club (scam) while I was in Chicago and they could not get the order for my cabinet right. The manufacturer said the job was too small for them to bother trying to correct it. Now I build all my cabinets and they are far better. The unit we received is smaller and does not have the details I ordered. It was made partially of Cherry at least. I had planned to use the Cabinet company for the kitchen if this went well. I had to change my plans.
The original bath had a small stand up shower recessed into a wall. My Carpenter, (Rev. Charles Delaine) is brilliant and recommended a built in unit in the space left so we did it. It really adds character to the space and lots of good storage. We used Cabinet grade plywood for that job and finished it with a Golden Pecan color.
The counter top was made locally in Tuscaloosa Alabama of a manufactured material. It works well but scratches easily and requires regular waxing. My goal was maintenance free so now you use Quarts countertops.
The mirror over the sink is a mahogany dresser mirror that lost its dresser. My wife bought at auction along with a couple of commodes. We painted it a satin black and mounted it to the wall where it works well. The back of the beveled mirror was packed with newspaper from 1901.
The bead board wainscoting is heart pine and was recycled from a wall we took down in another part of the house. The woodwork finish is White semi gloss and in spite of our best efforts, the original pale gray paint on the walls and woodwork cause the paint to yellow a little. The walls are a taupe I think.
To get it to code we had to wire and plumb everything new and add an exhaust vent in the ceiling.
There is a large closet at one end of the room separated by a louvered door. (Hate to paint them)
This was our first remodeling project and we learned a tremendous amount from our mistakes and a couple of dishonest contractors like Russell Lee Tile. In spite of the disappointments, the room works well and we live with the workmanship shortcomings. Now that I am home, we try to as much as we can ourselves.
-- TL. Roswell "The only thing that works in an old house is the man who lives there."