|Project by SteveMcc||posted 01-20-2010 03:13 AM||3056 views||1 time favorited||20 comments|
My wife lived in this house for over 12 years before we got married. About 5 years ago she had a new roof put on and the roofers told her there was some rot over the door on the back porch. They repaired the decking and said it was because of leaf build up in the valley of the roof over the porch.
The screen door had been missing for quite some time, the screen gone. My wife had not used the porch in over 9 years.
You will see by the pictures that there was a lot of rot in the header up against the brick. I started pulling down facia, soffit and cutting the header back until I didn’t find rot. The header was doubled, so I had to stagger the two pieces in order to marry them with new wood. Thank goodness for my Fein Multimaster. After much effort, I was able to replace the header with less than 1/8 of an inch gap. Then I proceeded to replace other posts, bottom plates, etc before re-screening the entire porch.
In the last shot, you can see where I replaced two sliding doors with two french doors earlier in the spring. One set is for the master b/r, and the other closest to the fireplace goes into the living room.
-- Steve, Fayetteville, Ga.