Utility Room

Project by carpentrymonster posted 11-21-2009 01:36 AM 3722 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch

We have an older home that my girlfriend purchased from her parents. The house has needed tons of work and I have kept quite busy for the last year. Last month I finally got around to cleaning up the basement a bit. It was dark, dingy, and loaded with junk leftover from my girlfriends 4 older siblings. Water damage, cob webs, dirt, dust, pet hair, you name it, it was down there. In a word “yuck!” If you’ve ever seen the movie “Saw” then you know what I am talking about. Every time I walked down there I expected to see someone chained up to the laundry tub. My girlfriend was literally scared to go into the basement of the home she grew up in.

So, I began in the beginning of October, lots of cleaning and moving stuff. I then reconfigured some of the existing walls to enclose a room around the laundry area. And I built a closet and work surface with areas for storage bins. I trimmed it out with some scrap lumber I had from a demolition job and had to build a new door frame. I was doing all of this as a suprise for my girlfriend so I had to be a bit sneaky about things. I actually reused old drywall and studs from existing walls. This was quite a task because her older brothers thought it was a good idea to shoot bb’s into the walls, Lot’s of skim coating. (I saved all the bb’s I removed and plan to shoot them into hers brother the next time I see them.)

I probably spent the better part of a day pulling crap out of the ceiling, like old phone wires and random fasteners. I must have pulled about 300 feet old of phone wire out. They must of had 2-3 phones in every room. I then Painted the ceiling with a black latex, made by glidden for that purpose. I had to buy an additive to mix with the latex to run it through my sprayer, it worked well. I painted some old flourescent fixtures I had in the garage and installed them.

I painted the walls with left over paint I’d had from other jobs. I just mixed all the half full white cans I had in a five gallon bucket and went to work. Bought a floor painting kit, and painted the trim with some left over opaque grey stain. I painted her old concrete laudry tub too, and cleaned up the old fixtures. Also built some cabinets we picked up at home depot, had to bolt em together and build a platform beneath to level em out.

After all was said and done the job cost about 400 bucks, if you don’t include the odd stuff i used from my own stockpiles. Take out the $216 we spent on cabinets and the job was done for under $200.

When I finally took her down there to see it she cried. It is good to be appreciated.

View carpentrymonster's profile


5 posts in 3105 days

Project tags/keywords

laundry room storage utility room basement

Embed This Project

HomeRefurbers Code



Preview this project card

11 comments so far

View BTKS's profile


39 posts in 3193 days

posted 11-21-2009 07:29 AM

Great work, especially for such a small budget. BTKS

View Todd Thomas's profile

Todd Thomas

739 posts in 3376 days

posted 11-21-2009 02:08 PM

looks great…I like the look of the ceilings and the grey trim…looks very clean….well done…I’m sure your girlfriend loves to do the laundry now!!! :-)

-- Todd- Oak Ridge, TN

View carpentrymonster's profile


5 posts in 3105 days

posted 11-21-2009 08:13 PM

That’s exactly what she said when she first saw it, “I am gonna love doing laundry now!” Funny thing is I couldn’t find a clean pair of socks this morning?

View Restorer's profile


7 posts in 3034 days

posted 11-26-2009 02:07 PM

Nice work, good clean lines and on such a small budget.

I’m not sure what’s worse, not finding a clean pair of socks or having a drawer full of clean odd socks like me!

-- Restorer, http://www.kedlestonfrenchpolishers.co.uk

View hardwoodflooring's profile


70 posts in 3127 days

posted 11-28-2009 04:12 PM

That is a great looking utility room. We are about to upgrade ours I will have to show the wife. the only thing I going to add is another washer and dryer. I have to wash clothes every night b/c we only have one washer and dryer.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


206 posts in 3144 days

posted 12-04-2009 05:25 PM

Nice work!


View Jim's profile


20 posts in 3303 days

posted 12-18-2009 06:18 AM

Million dollar result on a shoe string budget, great work. I like how tidy the plumbing and electrical lines are.

-- DONE is a "four letter word" at our house, we don't say it often.

View a1Jim's profile


160 posts in 3083 days

posted 12-24-2009 10:32 PM

Great work CM

-- a-1contractor.com

View Jayp413's profile


3 posts in 2939 days

posted 03-01-2010 07:32 PM

Very clean look! What did you use for skim coating the walls? My basement walls are in very bad shape, and I’d like to finish the basement off eventually.

View averagejoe's profile


20 posts in 2285 days

posted 03-01-2012 03:15 PM

BAM! KAPOW! You knocked this one out and it looks very clean too. I wish I would’ve seen this two years ago in our previous home…this is exactly what it needed.

I like the closet and organizer shelf with small bins. Not sure what that is used for but I like it. My wife’s biggest complaint is no where to hang things…you solved this issue well.

Good work.

-- AverageJoe

View bhangad's profile


4 posts in 300 days

posted 02-09-2018 05:20 AM

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: All views and comments posted by members are not necessarily those of HomeRefurbers.com or of those working on the site.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

LumberJocks.com :: woodworking showcase