|Project by lar2||posted 1333 days ago||1057 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
The wood from this patio was salvaged from an old barn that was built in the early 1900’s. The wood is old growth redwood and I got a pretty good deal on it. If you look closely at the timbers you can see the original saw marks from when it was first milled loooong ago. While building I found that all of the wood was odd sized or “full dimension” which gave me trouble when going to buy pre fabricated hardware to put it all together. Also since it was odd sized getting everything square and plumbed was difficult. The wood itself splits very easy and could not be nailed in any way. Oh and the wood needed to be pressure washed, sanded, and covered with a UV protected coating to keep its original look.
As the pictures show I started with the concrete slab, ran electrical and plumbing, and had to get a concrete pumper to put the cement in. Next came raising the timbers and attaching the them to the concrete. Rasing the horizontal timbers required the renting of a hand crank material Lift since they weighed roughly 300lbs a piece and would not fare well if dropped nor would any one under them. Plus we couldn’t afford to drop any since they were virtually one of a kind.
The odd way the roof needed to be made required some creative thinking to get the angles right and plans had to change and be changed again to get the finished product. Most of the bracketts and gusset plates used were hand made or bought then beaten into a usable shape. The planking on the roof was 8” redwood slabs that I grooved on each edge to put together. I used roughly 10 pounds of screws putting it all together. Of course some of the smaller wood had to be store bought. Next was putting in the grill and cabnets, and griddle, it was a prefab unit purchased at Cost-Co. There is still the shingles to put on and the plumbing to be connected. I’ll post more pics when as it happens. It was ALOT of work, but I’m pretty happy with the results.