|Project by DylanC||posted 05-20-2014 12:47 AM||14175 views||2 times favorited||27 comments|
My house is only 6 years old, but one of the door jambs was already rotting pretty seriously. I’d never done this type of repair before, but I did some internet research and figured I could tackle it pretty safely.
I started with a trip to the local big box for some PVC materials. I wanted to replace both the brick moulding and the jamb. The rotten jamb was on the hinge side of the door, so I decided that I would only replace the bottom 10” or so. The brick moulding was easier, so I decided to replace the entire piece.
I started by removing the door and taking a better look at the rot.
I used my circular saw to cut out all of the rotten wood. First cut was with the blade set at 45 degrees. This cut was a bit tricky to make. First cut was terrible, so I moved up 1/8” and tried again. I found it easier to mark a pencil line about 4” above the cut location and follow that line with the edge of the base plate on my saw. One site said this 45 degree cut would help the jamb shed water once it was finished. I don’t think that really makes much difference, but the miter did make it MUCH easier to align the new PVC section with the existing jamb. I also made a 90 degree cut 1-2 inches below the miter, still in solid wood. This gave me a good piece of the jamb that I could use as a template for building up the PVC jamb. You can also see that the Tyvek got a little tore up. That got fixed with some tape before I put the new jamb section in.
My local big box did not have ANY PVC jambs in stock, and could only order them as a full kit for “a couple hundred” bucks. So I bought a 3/4” x 5-1/2” x 8’ piece of PVC trim built it up to match by jamb profile. First step was to cross-cut three 12” pieces, rip them to the desired width, and reduce them to ~5/8” thick. Once piece also got a rabbet cut in to accept the door seal flange. Glued them all together with some Loc-Tite Plastic Bonder. This is a two-part epoxy designed for PVC and other plastics. You can see the three distinct pieces and the final product below. After glue-up, I cut cut the piece to length, added the miter on the top, and removed the material where the jamb meets the sill. The brick moulding was a different story…they had all kinds of that in every material/color you could want. Since I will have to paint anyway, I went with white PVC.
During this whole process, the door sill gave loose. I pulled it up, cleaned up the bottom surface and the concrete it was glued to, and reattached it with the best construction adhesive I could find. The end result looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. Tee 45 degree miter made it easy to get a nice flush fit with the existing jamb. I do need to sand a few spots that don’t quite line up exactly, but nothing too serious. Then I’ll caulk the seams, give the whole thing a fresh coat of paint, and it’ll be good as new.