|Project by dbray45||posted 04-22-2014 02:39 PM||10772 views||0 times favorited||14 comments|
This project was difficult because we were living in the house and had to keep a working kitchen. It took a while to complete.
The counters are solid cherry and were done by hand. They have a tung oil base finish and marine poly over that, there is no stain. They have darkened up nicely and are a great contrast to the white. The floors are also cherry.
The sink has hot and cold foot pedals so you have water on demand, even with messy hands. This actually cut our water bill in half.
The budget was not established as a fixed budget because we did this over time.
The lumber for the counter tops was around $500. I had to finish drying them in the basement. When I got them, they were about 10% MC and when done, they were at 4% MC.
The cabinet were maple birch plywood with poplar face frames and doors. All of the doors have full extension, under the drawer, soft close runners. All of the drawers and hand dovetailed.
During this project, we decided that the kitchen needed to be bigger. The back door had a lite on the left side and since the door had to be replaced, we took out the side window, put the door on the left and filled the hole on the right. This gave us an additional 18” of kitchen on that wall – a serious benefit. In the pictures, it shows a pantry cabinet there, we later put the refrigerator there and put the pantry across from it, opening the kitchen further.
This shows the change – before the insulation
From the outside, You notice that the door is taller. The original doors were 1” shorter (an added feature from the developer that built these homes. Required redoing the headers for the door – surprise!
Removing the old was a challenge. Tried to remove the back splashes but it seems that I did a really good job installing them. Ended up cutting the sheetrock and replacing it. This also made it easier to run dedicated power to the over-the-range microwave (required for the install).
While I was making the cabinets, I used the old ones as temps. I have a small shop and doing this kind of work involves a stepped approach.
In this picture, I have the upper cabinet in, less doors and a couple of the old base cabinets.
Finished base cabinet
These are some of the drawers before the drawer fronts and face frames were put on
A close up of one of the counters
It was a challenging project. My wife, while this was ongoing, said that we would NEVER do this again. Now that it is done, she has said that these cabinets WILL go into our retirement home. I guess I will be doing this again.
Thanks for looking
-- Love woodworking and fixing most anything