Okay. So I was off by a few days. I was going to post this segment several days (week???) earlier, but life got in the way.
Back to the story.
As all remodels begin, I assessed what was in front of me. Because the house is small, and I mean, SMALL, there is very little that I can actually do (or so I initially thought). Of course, after anyone looked at the hideous pink-flamingo bathroom (complete with a tub that would never come clean, fixtures that probably didn’t work, and a cabinet that was waiting for someone to carry away), I quickly decided to gut the entire bathroom. Working alone – one day.
Honest – this is the way the previous owner installed the faucet.
See the insulation? I don’t. It was sheathed with a silver wrap (behind the drywall). Nothing else. I know they did not care about the price of gas when the house was built in the 50s, but it looks like I have a little job of insulating the house ahead of me.
And now the bathroom is in the living room! Exactly 1-ton of demo.
Next was the kitchen. If you thought the bathroom was bad, the kitchen was far worse.
While I was demoing the bathroom, I found it quite strange that the bottom plate was completely rotted. Not just water damaged, but rotted. Then it became apparent – a constant leak. Their solution to solving the leak – spraying foam insulation around the suspected culprit.
Yes folks, that’s a 1 1/2” discharge pipe for the washer. No wonder water was everywhere. Oh, and look where it is tied into! Yep, it’s the last one out – not the first. I bet water was flowing out in every direction when the washer was running.
Now, besides the wonderful plumbing work they did, look at how they hooked up the water heater. As I was demoing the bathroom, I couldn’t figure out where a gas line was going. It wasn’t until I tore apart the kitchen until I realized they took a pipe off of an incoming line, ran it into the attic, down through a bathroom wall, and around to the tank. Look at how close the line is to the furnace line.
The red arrow is pointed to the tank, the yellow is the furnace line-in. Needless to say, both lines could have run together and reduced down to 1/2” (there’s about 100,000 btu total, with a total run of less then 15’).
The electrical was not much better. Below you see the power line (yep, the one wrapped in electrical tape) for the garbage disposal.
Besides the fact that any project attempted by the previous owners did not meet code, they did not understand anything concerned with building.
The hole was for the exhaust dryer vent. They did not seal off the vent, rather, they stuffed insulation between the studs.
Next step – put some holes in the floor.
-- No matter how many times I measure, I always forget the dimensions before I cut.