Now for the details of the remodeling.
Original budget: $14k. Final budget: to be determined (right now we are double the original amount). True, I am finished with the kitchen, and I believe she does not have any further plans for the kitchen, but the “house” now became the former kitchen. I think she has enough for me to do for the rest of my life.
EVERYTHING was upgraded during this remodel. From the 1/2 dozen different door knobs I bought, to hinges, slides, lights, etc., everything was changed and upgraded every time one of us had a thought. True, it could have cost much more, but given the age of the house itself, it would not be worth seeing it all end up in the dump when the next person takes possession.
Time? I began this project on July 1, 2011. Officially, I emptied the house last night of every that belonged to me (although I had technically finished before Christmas). So Mark, just realize things take time when you have another full-time job.
I’ll hit on the materials I used as I go through a then and now show.
I used Scabos Travertine for the brickwork with individual Piedra Rio rocks mixed in, sealed with gloss sealer, all from The Tile Shop. I also got a great price on the under-counter LED lights from LED Wholesale. The lights under the cabinets were bright white, while the toe-kick lights were RGB and have various functions (fade, change color, flash, etc.). I had to run the low-voltage line to the cabinet to the left of the window on the sink side. With having to put a transformer someplace, I decided to go with the brickwork theme and created an access panel (below).
Thank goodness for rare earth magnets. Without them, difficulty would have been compounded. A little epoxy and four dime-sized magnets can hold a cabinet, let alone an access panel.
I used under-mount, full-extension, soft close Grass cabinet slides on everything except the two pull-out pantry and microwave drawers. On those I used two 100# slides from Home Depot and two Indamatic (from Cabinets Anything) soft-close drawer slide add on’s per drawer. All of the cabinet doors have Blum soft-close (110 degree swing) hinges.
I fought her about wanting escutcheons on the door knobs. In the end, of course she won. I’m still not completely sold, but to each their own. I probably would have had a different knob and pull altogether.
Trying to shrink everything to a point where you can have everything in a small kitchen is a challenge. The casualty in this remodel was the dishwasher. Never having had one, she was convinced by one of her friends that she wouldn’t be able to live without it. When it came down to what she thought she wanted, and what she actually needed, she chose wisely. Good choice.
All cabinets are 3/4 maple cabinet plywood with 1/2 maple plywood, framed with soft maple. Everything is milk paint stain, wiped on, then sanded. I used three coats of Duralaq Waterborne Acrylic self-sealing clear finish – satin (1WB-104) as the protective coating. If you haven’t tried it, you should. Spray only; drys to spray again in about 35-min. They recommend no more then three coats total (1 – 2 mil per coat), with sanding between coats. I started at 220 and finished at 400. Smooth.
All base and ceiling trim is Behr Interior Enamel Premium + Semi Gloss pure white. The walls are Behr Navajo White Eggshell Enamel.
Being an avid wine drinker, she wanted a place to put her wine glasses that were in reach of her table and also some easily reached wine.
Because she spends so much time in the kitchen, reading and looking out at the birds, she wanted a TV that would not be on a counter. I found a great articulating mount that can be turned for her to watch when she is washing dishes or while prepping food.
As Daffy Duck would say, that’s all folks.
My next project begins this weekend. It’s going to be a whole-house remodel. Fortunately, it’s a rental and it’s small. Stay tuned.
-- No matter how many times I measure, I always forget the dimensions before I cut.