I’m very rapidly approaching the 1-year mark on this renovation. It seems like a lifetime of work that keeps going. SO many things have changed, I hardly recognize the initial proposal. In fact, I just looked at the proposal, and this remodel has increased at least 3-times in size and scope. It is not longer the original plan; that went to the wayside almost immediately.
Here is where I stand.
1. New ideas make more work. The painting is finished (I think), and there should not be additional demolition in the future (besides the breezeway to kitchen doorway). Again, in one of my moments while looking at the tile-grout job, I thought about making an arch above the entrance to the kitchen from the breezeway. After about 60-seconds of discussion, it was decided to go for it. Great! Now I get to make another arched doorway. Having never made radius molding, I quickly found a couple of good ideas from JLC.
I began by making the diagram on a scrap piece of ply. After laying everything out, and dividing the pieces as close as possible, I glued and let dry. After that I used a plunge router to cut the semicircle.
I’ve been looking for examples of Tuscan molding. From what I read in architectural articles, Tuscan = simple. I thought about some type of rounded features, but gave that up for simplicity. Thus, only two 1/4” wide x 1/8” deep profiles decorate the molding.
2. In addition, I finished the fake doors above the stove,
3. and the cabinets on the stove-fridge side (top and bottom).
4. This week while I’m on spring break from my “real” job, the goal is to install cabinets (top and bottom) on one side. We’ll see how everything cooperates.
-- No matter how many times I measure, I always forget the dimensions before I cut.