I’m almost at the point where I can begin making the cabinets. After months and months of demo and rebuilding, the cabinets are almost in view. Although designs change almost daily, I can see an end to the renovation. There were only a few items left to complete, finishing the tiling was next on my list.
The tiles were handcrafted in the early 1940s by an artisan. Fortunately, the original owners purchased more then enough for the kitchen when they put the tile down. I had four boxes to work with, although it turned out not to be enough for me. Each tile being hand made, was unique and a different size. I purchased a box of factory made tiles (all exactly 6×6), which I had to cut to 5 3/4 sq.
I don’t know how many of you use Ditra, but I find it very easy to work with. I haven’t been laying floors with it for as long as some have, but I have yet to hear one complaint.
Although the client decided on the paint color, I’m trying to convince her to move in a different direction – at least in the kitchen area. The 5-gals of paint won’t go to waste – she intends to paint the attached living room and adjoining sitting room.
Having stucco ceilings in the breezeway and attached garage, I’m going to use a knockdown texture on the ceilings. The next blog will contain a niche I’m going to start working on. I believe the last revision on the size happened today, as I need the final dimension in order to begin building the cabinets.
Oh well, it seems that the only thing consistent is the changes made each day.
Here are a few more pictures of the kitchen.
Hopefully, you’ll begin to see real progress in the next couple of installments. Until then, Happy New Year!!!
-- No matter how many times I measure, I always forget the dimensions before I cut.